Wednesday 22 April 2009

1. The Start of My Driving Life

(This was a few years ago, how sad...)

I have finally given in and started driving lessons, after what seems a lifetime of gentle persuasion and careful hint-dropping from family and friends.

After last week’s shenanigans of the driving-instructor not turning up, I had to prepare and tell myself repeatedly ‘I will not hurt anything alive on the road today.’ However, it turned out to be quite exciting. I actually enjoyed driving.

Lesson one included driving straight in first gear, seemed easy enough with the power-steering of the Ford Fiesta. Today’s main problem was going into second gear on time, without having to stop the car completely. All I remember before the black-out was that ‘we are going to crash.’ Thankfully, we never reached the point of colliding because of the wonders of dual controls.

The best bit was definitely the fact that I could use the clutch correctly, and remember all the instructions of mirror signal and manoeuvre; the instructor was pleased that I avoided stalling at any time. I know this will be short-lived.

It is always a wonder how small people were going to be driving on the road. I could just about see passed the steering wheel, as well as reach the clutch, hence why steering was a bit difficult. As the driving instructor keeps telling me ‘you are not driving in a Formula One racing computer game.’

Today’s lesson was a confidence boost all around. I think it is one project that I am going to stick at, who knows I may be a natural-born driver.

No comments:

Post a Comment