Wednesday 22 April 2009

3. Slightly Worse for Wear

My family kept reassuring me that it was natural for the third lesson to be less spectacular than the previous sessions. Traumatised from my inability to drive today, I was worried I could ever drive again.

Although I finally got the hang of the second gear as well as clutch control, driving as a whole did not seem to be my main agenda. As the Ford Fiesta screeched down FurzeDown without any sign of braking, it was more like a joyride than a driving lesson.

The poor instructor, horrified in what he had just encountered, shook his head and squealed “Oh dear, oh dear Suswati. What happened here?”

“We were doing so well that I was even thinking of taking you down the main roads!” That was exactly what had frightened me, confronting fellow road users which slightly defeated the idea of driving. My instructor became increasingly worried when I stopped to wave to my friends; and then stalled. Not a great impression.

Like many other learner drivers, it was primarily confidence that held me back. I thought maybe next time though I will be able to face the main roads instead of giving up at the first hurdle.

No comments:

Post a Comment