Wednesday 22 April 2009

First Drive with the Parents

My mother finally confronted me, ‘So you have been doing lessons for a while. I think its time you come for a drive with me.’

This was a historic moment. I still remember sitting in the back seat, while my sister drove around aimlessly in a car park. That was as far as she would let any of us pass. But what I recollect was the amount of screaming of ‘dear god, don’t kill us all!’ in an Indo- English accent, coming from the front passenger seat.

So here I was being driven to the local car park. I was told that today I was only to practice turning and reverse if I am lucky. Now that was a big compromise from my mother so I was pleased.

There seemed a large change from unleaded fuel to diesel. As I put my foot down on the accelerator, I was unprepared for speeding towards a fence. My mother jumped up and down beside me screaming ‘stop, stop, stop!’ I gradually stopped with a lot of control I might add. ‘Mother, you underestimate me,’ was my reply.

For about 45 minutes I drove around a space that was the same size as my small bedroom. I was officially bored. But on the upside as we entered back to sane land, my mother patted me on my back, and said to her husband ‘she has good control, there’s hope yet.’

Although, I guess anyone would have good control driving around in first gear, but I relished in the compliments and hoped to drive some more with my folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment